Monday, April 26, 2010

(A)Typical morning @ MICA

(Any day of the week)

8:00 AM: Alarm rings. Hit snooze.
8:05 AM: Alarm rings again. Therefore, hit snooze again.
8:10 AM: Alarm rings faithfully for the third time.
Damn! Is it morning already??
Open eyes unwillingly.
8:12 AM: Check messages.
Screen displays ‘Two new messages’.
First message from Manu: “Please, please please wake me up at 8:45.
Otherwise I will get a grade cut. I have already bunked classes.”
Second message from Neelanjan: “Wake me up before the class.”
Short and definitely not sweet.
Why o why do I agree to do this every morning?
Curse myself.
8:14 AM: Fall asleep again.
8:15 AM: Some one knocks on the door.
Nammy mutters some thing in her sleep.
Knocking continues.
I reluctantly get up, open the door.
Sayantika is standing outside (who else?:D).
She has come to collect the MICAVAANI key.
She is not only fully awake but has already bathed, dressed and ready to
attend the class.
How the hell does she manage to do this every single morning without fail?
8:16 AM: I give her the key.
She starts saying some thing about MICAVAANI.
All I hear is, “Yesterday XYZ did not come…blah blah..and some more blah”
Seeing me fall asleep while standing upright; she smiles, says bye and leaves.
8:20 AM: I head towards the washroom grudgingly.
8:35 AM: I return to my room. Realize I have to wake Nammy up.
8:40 AM: Me: “Nammy, time for class. Get up!”
Nammy: “Hmmm…..”
Me: “Nams, we’ll be late and we may not get attendance.”
Nammy: “Mmmmm….”
(Trying once more, a different tactic may be??)
Me: Hey Nams, don’t you want breakfast?
Nammy: (no response)
8:45 AM: Get ready myself and check the time.
Wonder how to wake this Neel-and-Manas-dragged-me-to-Chota-and-I-slept-
at-three girl sleeping oh-so-soundly.
8:48 AM: A flash of a bulb! There it is! An epiphany!
8 49 AM: Me: “Nammy, don’t you want to write in your new green book?”
Nammy: “Mmmm…Yaaa…”
She gets up!
High-five!
Different incentives for different people – as simple as that.
Me: “Will you wake Kirthana up?”
Nammy: (Nods her head and leaves)
8:50 AM: I call Neel. He doesn’t pick up.
Call him again, no answer.
I call Manu. He thankfully picks up.
Me: “Manu, get up. You will get a grade cut otherwise.”
Manu: (mumbles something, I cannot comprehend it)
Me: “If you leave now, you can get breakfast too”
Manu: “Ya ya…coming”
(As I said, different incentives for different people ;))
Me: “Wake Neel too.”
8:52 AM: Lock my room.
Go to Ankita’s room, knowing the fact that Madhu would have woken her a few
minutes ago, yet, she will be sound asleep.
Wake Ankita and Guneet up.
8:55 AM: Eat poha, a bowl of papaya and drink coffee in the mess at breakneck-speed.
Don’t they give awards for doing this?
8:59 AM: Run to class.
9:00 AM: Made it on time!
Mission accomplished!!
Answer roll call.
Time to sleep again.

16 comments:

manas April 26, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

Very well written......MICA mornings are indeed something to savour!!!

nammy... April 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

I love the last two lines..so true yaar..btw i don't remember the green book thing..but im pretty sure it would have worked..

Aparna April 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

@ Manas
Thankoo :)

@ Nammy
I remember, thus I write ;)
It definitely worked the last time I tried it!

yamini Krishna April 26, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

wat about our bitching about ppl in the bathrooms :P
well written

Aparna April 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

@ Yamini
Next article may be? ;)

Kirthana April 27, 2010 at 12:39 AM  

hehe! nice post! i'm amazed i wake up at 8.50 though! :P

Aparna April 27, 2010 at 1:08 AM  

@ Kirthana
Yes you do, don't you ever look at the time??

Annamalai April 27, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

sweet post.. nicely written..

for me it was an alien read - as i never see 9 am in the clock, breakfast or all u ppl who make it to the 9 o clock class while @ MICA !!!

Unknown April 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

Beautifully written Aparna :) Good Job!!! I am sorry for reading this blog only after your reminder ( As always :P)

I would like to add 3 things that u had missed.

1. You inform Nami to wake Kirthana and she forgets!!!!
2. I shamelessly enter the class at 9:10 and wonder whether to feel bad for coming late.
3. Kirthana enters the class at 9:15 and I have a big smile on my face. I tell myself " I am bad but definitely not the worst :P"

Aparna April 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

@ Anna
You should get up one of these days, come to the mess too, it's fun!

@ Manu
Thanks
I wonder what Kirthana will say after reading this :P

modest April 28, 2010 at 1:06 AM  

now i know whom should i entrust the prestigious responsibility of waking me up daily.

-
Tanya

Aparna April 28, 2010 at 2:30 AM  

@ Kirthana
I don't know about Manu being the worst(at waking up), don't you think Neel is competing for the same title?

@ Tanya
Yup, you should totally ask either Manu or Neel, I am sure you will reach all your classes on time :P

Codename, GOD April 30, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

Neel may be missing classes but he does go to the person who can rid him of the grade cuts.....hehehe

pooja April 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

hahaha....so true and descriptive...beautiful is what i call it...love the last bit of answering the roll call and going back to sleep bit...keep up the writings:))

Anonymous May 8, 2010 at 7:08 AM  

Loved it.... But's who's gonna wake me up this year :)

Aparna May 11, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

@ Neel
Who are you talking about? Hmmm....

@ Pooja and Anonymous (aka Ankita)
Thanks...

And Ankita... would a loud shout out from Chinar do? ;)

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP